The CARL ZEISS MEL 90 excimer laser and the CARL ZEISS VisuMax femto laser is a complete system used in eye surgeries and CARL ZEISS has been a pioneer in the development of laser systems. Its dependability is unquestionable in the market in terms of performance and standards.
The femto laser VisuMax is the only device that provides a treatment with the innovative Relex Smile technology. The innovative technique avoids the need of creating a corneal flap.
ReLEx SMILE (often known simply as SMILE, which stands for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction) is, by its less invasive nature, a method that allows correction of even higher myopic prescriptions than previously treatable by standard LASIK laser eye surgery.
During the procedure, eye anaesthetic drops are used to completely numb the eye, and the state-of-the-art Carl Zeiss VisuMax laser places a series of pulses in the centre of the cornea with extraordinary 3D placement accuracy. These pulses form bubbles that are less than 1/100th the width of a human hair, and which outline the tissue that needs to be removed to effectively change the shape of the cornea.
The laser then creates a tiny connecting tunnel through which the surgeon draws out this tissue.
With ReLEx SMILE, no flap is created, so the healing time is faster than conventional LASIK. The procedure takes a matter of minutes, and the vision is 80% better instantly and reaches 100% within a few days (according to trials conducted on over 1,000 patients between the UK, Germany, France and Denmark).
Benefits at a glance
- It is the most advanced laser technology in use today to deliver custom fit and precision- oriented ablations.
- The CARL ZEISS laser is FDA approved to treat myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism.
- It has a sophisticated and state of the art eye tracking system that can capture three dimensional images of the eye’s intra-operative movements and there is no need of dilation of the pupils.
- It also has features like variable spot scanning, which means beams of variable sizes can be used over the eye treatment zone, thereby conserving maximum corneal tissue.
- The variable repetition rate of the laser optimizes treatment time.
- The greatest advantage of the CARL ZEISS MEL 90 laser is that it produces the smoothest surface on the cornea after the procedure. This in fact aids in faster healing and sharper vision.
- It accurately places each pulse of the laser on the correct verified position.
- It makes optimal ablation shape possible to suit an individual eye and then orient and position this to the patient’s corneal surface.
- It also eliminates the need for repeating surgical procedures for refractive errors post operation.
- It is the leading choice among surgeons who need to perform surgeries for correction of vision problems.
With the help of the CARL ZEISS laser, experts are treating various vision errors and successfully eliminating the need for prescription glasses and contact lenses. With the rise in laser optimizer eye surgeries all over the globe, laser manufacturers have been scrambling in their efforts to reach the position of world market leader. Therefore, laser manufacturing has seen great advancement to meet medical demands and capture monetary gains. The CARL ZEISS system has in all respects captured the market by delivering sophisticated technology for eye surgery. In fact, it has been constantly aiming to improve and develop newer and better technological innovations to open up new avenues in the field of eye surgery.